Audio echoing during a session
- If you are experiencing an echo of your voice, make sure both parties in the session are using headphones or ear buds. If headphones/ear buds are in use, try reducing the audio volume on the side of the device NOT experiencing the echo. If both sides have the echo, reduce the volume on both sides.
- If either party in the session is using a PC, you can try to manually lower the session quality by clicking on the gear icon in the top right and choosing a lower setting - this often will correct the audio issue.
- If the above suggestions do not reduce/eliminate the echo, try ending the current session and beginning a new session.
- If the above suggestions do not reduce/eliminate the echo and you are using basic ear buds, try upgrading to a noise cancelling headset.
- Unfortunately a few users (especially those using a Mac) do still continue to experience an echo in the audio despite following all the suggestions above, this is a known issue that our team is working to resolve in an upcoming App update. In the meantime, you might consider connecting using an alternate device.
Video freezes, is choppy, or is out of synch during a session
- If this occurs, it is likely the result of one or both parties not having sufficient network bandwidth to support the default quality settings for the video session.
- If either party in the session is using a PC, you can try to manually lower the session quality by clicking on the gear icon in the top right and choosing a lower setting - this often will correct any video issue.
- Network bandwidth can be negatively impacted by other Apps running or other users on the same network during a VTConnect Session. Often just turning off other Apps and/or asking others to stay off the network will free up the necessary bandwidth for a successful session.
- You can check your network bandwidth to confirm you have the required 1.5 Mbps upload/1.5 Mbps download minimum requirements by going to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/.
- If you determine it is not a network issue, we suggest you try an alternate device, as the issue may be due to older hardware and/or an older operating system.
Audio and Video Fail to Connect at the Start of a Session
If this occurs, please do the following:
Step 1: Make sure all other APPs that use your camera and/or microphone are closed when you launch the VTConnect App.
Take note that some programs automatically open when you turn on your device, so be sure to close these APPs too. The VTConnect App will not be able to initialize the audio and/or video for a session if another App is already connected to your system's camera and/or microphone.
Step 2: Check to make sure your camera and microphone hardware are functioning correctly.
Step 3: Check the firewall settings to see if they are preventing the VTConnect App from receiving the incoming audio/video connection.
On a PC follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel
- Click System and Security
- Click Windows Firewall
- Click the link that says Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall
- This will pull up a list of programs and make sure there is a check in the box next to VTConnect
- If not, click the Change Settings button, check the box next to VTConnect, and then click the OK button
On a Mac follow these steps:
- Open System Preferences
- Click the Security or Security & Privacy icon
- Select the Firewall tab
- Click the lock icon in the preference pane, then enter an administrator name and password
- Click the Firewall Options button
- Click the Add Application (+) button.
- Select the VTConnect App
- Click Add
- Click the OK button